Breast cancer is a disease in which the cancer cells develop in a breast. Because of the mutations in the DNA, the cells grow abnormally and form a tumor. There are several types of breast cancer. The type of breast cancer is determined by which breast cells become cancerous.
Breast cancer may start in a variety of places in the breast. Ducts, lobules, and connective tissue are the three primary components of a breast.
Everything You Need To Know Breast Cancer
Causes of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer develops when the breast’s genetic material (DNA) changes. The precise etiology of these genetic alterations is often unclear.
However, these genetic modifications may occasionally be inherited, which means you are born with them. Hereditary breast cancer is a kind of breast cancer induced by inherited genetic abnormalities.
Specific genetic abnormalities, such as the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations, may also increase your chance of breast cancer. These two changes also increase your chances of developing ovarian cancer and other malignancies.
Your way of living and the environment, besides genetics, might influence your breast cancer risk.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
The signs and symptoms of breast cancer differ from person to person. Breast cancer may show up in a variety of ways, including:
- A change in your breast’s size, shape, or color
- A little lump or tumor that feels like a pea
- A lump or thickening in or around your breast or underarm that lasts for the duration of your menstrual cycle
- A change in your breast or nipple skin (dimpled, puckered, scaly, or inflamed)
- Your breast or nipple has a reddened appearance
- A region on each breast is unique from the rest of the breast
- A firm marble-like region under your skin
- A clear or blood-stained liquid discharge from the nipple
If you notice any of these symptoms, please consult a breast cancer specialist or breast cancer surgeon in Mumbai.
If you are looking for a breast cancer surgeon in Mumbai, Dr. Jay Anam is the person you are looking for.
Dr. Jay Anam has Completed his M.Ch. Surgical Oncology training from Tata Memorial Centre. He did his Fellowship in Breast Oncology from Centre Oscar Lambret, Lille, France.
Risk Factors of Breast Cancer
We know that mutations in the DNA lead to cancer formation. However, there are some risk factors for breast cancer like:
- Breast cancer or benign (non-cancerous) breast disease history
- Breast cancer risk is inherited, including BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations
- Dense breast tissue
- A reproductive history that leads to increased estrogen exposure
- Menstruating at a young age
- Being older when you first had a child or never having had a child
- Begin menopause at a younger age
- Using hormone therapy to ease the signs of menopause
- Use of radiation therapy in the breast or chest
- Consuming alcoholic drinks
Diagnosis for Breast Cancer
We diagnose breast cancer using the following tests and procedures:
- Breast Exam :
Your doctor will feel for lumps or other irregularities in your breasts and the lymph nodes in your armpit.
- Mammogram :
A mammogram is a kind of X-ray used to examine the breast. We often do breast cancer screening via mammograms. If screening mammography reveals an anomaly, your doctor may prescribe a diagnostic mammogram to investigate further.
- Ultrasound of the Breasts :
Ultrasound imaging creates pictures of structures deep inside the body using sound waves. A new breast lump may be diagnosed by ultrasound to see whether it’s a solid mass or a fluid-filled cyst.
- Biopsy (removal of a sample of breast cells for testing) :
Breast cancer can only be diagnosed definitively by a biopsy. A biopsy is a procedure in which your doctor extracts a core of tissue from a questionable location using a specialized needle instrument guided by an X-ray or other imaging test. A small metal marker is often left at the spot inside your breast so that subsequent imaging tests may readily identify the region.
Biopsy samples are submitted to a facility for testing, and specialists evaluate if the cells are malignant.
A biopsy sample is also examined to establish the cells involved in breast cancer, the tumor’s grade, and whether the cancer cells contain hormone receptors or other receptors that might affect your treatment choices.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast :
An MRI machine creates images of the inside of your breast using a magnet and radio waves. You will be given a dye injection before your breast MRI. An MRI does not employ radiation to produce pictures, unlike other forms of imaging procedures.
Treatment for Breast Cancer
The treatment of breast cancer depends upon your age, stage of cancer, location, size, and overall health. Following are the breast cancer treatments:
- Surgical procedures such as
- A Mastectomy (Breast Removal) is a surgical procedure that removes the whole breast
- Cancer and some normal tissue surrounding it are removed during a lumpectomy, but the breast is not removed
Other treatments include:
- Radiation therapy uses high-energy beams to kill cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy uses anti-cancer drugs to destroy cancer.
- Hormone treatment prevents cancer cells from receiving the hormones they need to develop.
- Targeted therapy is a kind of treatment that employs medications or other substances to target particular cancer cells while causing minor damage to healthy cells.
- The immunotherapy process takes the help of your immune system to fight back against cancer.
↓↓↓ Must Watch Our Informative Videos ↓↓↓
Being told you have breast cancer may be frightening, upsetting, and even despairing. If you or your close one is suffering from this illness, do not lose hope.
Discuss your treatment choices with your healthcare practitioner and fight the disease bravely.
You can also book an appointment with our experts to talk about breast cancer. Dr. Jay Anam Breast Cancer Center provides customized, leading-edge cancer care through diagnosis, treatment, and support. He is one of the best breast cancer surgeon in Mumbai
About Dr. Jay Rashmi Anam
Dr Jay Anam is one of the best surgical oncologists in India. Dr. Jay is breast cancer specialist in mumbai, and he believes in world class cancer care for all the patients.
Dr. Jay Anam focuses on Breast Oncology, and his scope of work includes:
- Breast Cancer surgeries, including Mastectomy, Breast Conservation Surgery, Aesthetic and Cosmetic Breast reconstruction–Oncoplasty to retain breast shape and size during the treatment of breast cancer.
- Sentinel Node Biopsy to limit the extent of the node dissection in early breast cancers.
- Sono-Guided and Wire- localized Breast Surgeries for screen-detected Breast Cancers.
- Flap reconstructions for advanced Breast Cancers.
- Aesthetic Breast Surgery for benign breast tumours.
Patient Treated By Dr. Jay Anam
People heavily rely on reviews from other patients when choosing a healthcare provider
Dr. Jay Anam is a warm, kind, sympathetic, and brilliant doctor who handles his patients with dignity and respect, in my opinion. He has an incredible talent for motivating his patients and inspiring them to give more than 100% confidence. "Ruma, enjoy this voyage and you will be OK!" he said, and I still remember his words. These words have struck a chord in my heart throughout my wellness voyage, and I am a warrior. Dr. Jay Anam comes across as a terrific friend, and he makes you feel at ease throughout the procedure as if you've known him for years. He is forthcoming and available 24/7 for any queries.
I got operated in Nov 2021. The word cancer can be so daunting and brings loads of stress in a patient's life. But i was fortunate that I met the right surgeon - Dr Jay Anam, post meeting him was relaxed and knew I am in safe hands. He explained the surgery in minute detail and patiently answered all my queries. Post surgery outcome was also discussed and nothing was left to guessing. He was on time for the surgery and i have to admit that the cuts and scars are minimal and it was a very clean n neatly done job. Post surgery he was always available on phone for any issue I faced. Post surgery follow up visit was also handled professionally.
Patient Knowledge Center -Blogs, Videos and FAQs
Triple-positive breast cancer varies in aggressiveness and treatment response, requiring personalized treatments based on the specific ch...
In the battle against breast cancer, AI is a game-changer, improving accuracy and reducing false negatives and positives...
You are stronger than you think!
If you or someone you know has breast cancer or breast issues, get in touch with Mumbai best breast surgeon.